Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Comings and Goings

In a few hours we're off to the airport for our first trip! The destination is an island in the Western Visayas called Guimaras. They are renowned for their mangoes, "sweetest in the world", reportedly served at the White House and Buckingham Palace.

I remember the first time I ever had a mango was on a family vacation in Florida. I was maybe 4 or 5? (Also the same vacation when we went to Disney World and I had to be that kid on a leash. I have the pictures with Minnie to prove it.) We happened to come across a mango festival and I was in heaven. Imagine being eye-level with tables dripping with everything mango. I remember just grabbing things off the tables and shoving bits of mango into my mouth. I probably shouldn't have done that, but I guess the purveyors didn't want to mess with a child who had to be leashed.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be some lovely photos to share with you when we get back from our trip. When we return we have to head right back out for our first school trip. We are going to Sorsogon, a province in the Bicol Region. Whale shark capital of the world! Yikes, I doubt I'll get over my fear of "big things that swim" in time to jump into the water. I don't think we'll have any free time though. We're there to collect snails to test for schistosomiasis. Send me good vibes so that I don't end up contracting those little buggers!

What post is complete without the mention of a mall? We made it to the Mall of Asia, an endless maze of stores upon stores. There was a fantastic photo exhibit of incredible press photos. The 2009 World Press Photo exhibition is touring globally, but unfortunately the US dates have already passed. Visit the site--a must see!

2 comments:

  1. Guimaras! Very cool. But I beg to differ. The best mangoes are from Cebu! :) Nonetheless, Filipino mangoes, if you've not had one yet. Are absolutely delictable. Amazingly juicy, sweet and fragrant. I'm however curious, I was under the impression that this is not mango season? I might be wrong. In any event, get ready to try some of the best mangoes you will ever have. Also, Sorsogon, I hear is lovely as well! Great diving.

    -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures. I hope you don't have Schisto.

    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete