Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hit the ground running!

We're here in Manila with a serious case of jetlag. We woke up this morning at 5AM (serenaded by the crowing rooster outside our 14th floor window) and surrendered at 7PM, only to wake up at 11PM thinking it was already morning. My travel buddy, Meena, and I got in last night after some amazingly painless flights. This was the easiest transatlantic flight I've ever been on. I think it had mostly to do with the fact that all 5'1" of me was stretched across four seats of the 747. I slept through each of the connecting flights and missed most of the meals they served. Apparently that was a good thing. Questionable meats and such.

Nagoya's airport wasn't nearly as enjoyable at Osaka's. It was only 6PM when we landed but there weren't any people in the airport and only three flights going out. Oh well. Then we landed in Manila and went through customs, changed money, etc. Meena's aunt (Tita B), cousin, and Sir Freddy of UP came to pick us up from the airport to take us to the hotel. There we reunited with Diana and Julie who stayed up to greet us. SO good to see them! We all chatted in our room to catch up on events missed since I left them in Boston before heading to bed. We're staying in this hotel near UP for the time being, and will search for an apartment asap.

Classes, which were meant to start today, have been pushed back a week because "so many students have the H1N1 virus that we stopped counting." So now we have a week before we begin school to do a little exploring and orienting, which is great. We did a little of that today around the university, when we schlepped back and forth between offices to fill out what seemed like multiple copies of the same paperwork asking for the same information over and over again.

This area is packed with street vendors, pedestrians, cars, jeepneys--all crammed into small streets and trying to avoid colliding with each other. Hopefully when we have a chance to explore other parts of Manila there will be less congestion. The respite from the heat is a HUGE mall called Robinsons Place. I don't necessarily want to spend my time in Manila inside a mall. However, according to Meena, "we have to survive!"

Mental Note 1: Be one with the humidity or you will hurt yourself. As soon as you step outside, the humidity washes over you like warm laundry out of the dryer after you've been running outside for an hour in 90 degree weather. I've never felt humidity like this before!

More to come. I need to shake this jetlag!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Nora! Glad to know you arrived safely. And yes, the humidity is something to be desired. Like I said, when you get a chance, go to "Rockwell", which is a very modern, comfortable mall that has wonderful restos and such. Also, for a really nice relaxed day, go to "Greenbelt 5", which has a UCC Coffee joint on the third floor. Also, Greenbelt 5 has amazing restaurants! I suggest you find your way to "Lorenzo's Way" in Greenbelt 5 for authentic, yummy, Filipino food!

    As for H1N1; yes. The Philippines has the highest *reported cases of it in all of S.E.A. And that's only *reported cases. The H1N1 test is quite expensive, so not a lot of people get tested for it. When I was there, I contracted it, as did my nephew. Obviously, I'm OK now, but it was a very bad flu for me. In my email, as suggested, if you ever get sick, go to either St. Luke's or Makati Medical Center for medical help. Those are the world-class hospitals in Manila.

    Wish I was there to take you around!!!

    -Tom Jin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you should totally spend your time in the mall! Manila has the biggest mall in Asia or something crazy like that. :D

    If you have time, I also suggest going to the TV studio...I can't remember the name of the station, but my friends and I went to see them shoot ASAP SUPAH DANCE, and it was amazing. hehehe Lots of very good-looking Filipino celebrities.

    I hope you're having a fun time so far beating the jet lag!

    ReplyDelete